Monday, March 5, 2012

Thoughts about Batman and The Dark Knight

Preparing for raging fanboys in 3 2 1

Both of the films 3rd acts stinked, no SUCKED. But for different reasons. For Burton's 1st film, he did 2 no nos 1. He let Vicki Vale into the batcave... HEH?! 2. (I'm actually still on the fence with this being a bad thing) he made the Joker be the murderer of Bruce Wayne's parents.  Ok enough of his no nos. The 3rd act kind of redeemed itself with the awesome Batmobile scene.. but it's awesome for the wrong reasons that completely demean the character of Batman. BATMAN SHOULD NOT HAVE GUNS! He should not have guns on the Batmobile or the Batwing. His character in the comics hates guns because it was guns that killed his parents, makes sense. Ok, that leads me to another awesome scene that is awesome for the right reasons. Batman saves the day by stealing Joker's balloons, and flys up to the moon for no good reason, and does he really need to have a good reason? He's THE GODDAMN BATMAN. But then Burton made another boo boo, he made Batman miss with the torpedoes and the machine guns. He had a clear target on the Joker, A CLEAR TARGET! I guess Batman didn't use the force like Luke did for the Death Star. Ok, let me make this perfectly clear.. Batman DID NOT KILL THE JOKER. You saw the scene, The Joker was escaping so Batman tangled him up with his.... I don't know what it's called, but it worked. Now pay attention, this is very important.. The Joker had a choice... he knew he was stuck.. but he chose not to and try to beat the laws of physics.. if the Joker stayed.. he would've lived. So, no more of this Batman killed Joker shit.. the Joker killed himself. I know that is suppose to show that Batman can win against evil without resorting to killing... but I would rather have that The Joker lived.. yeah It's Burton's style and there's no way in hell that you will be paying Nicholson another 6 mil to star in another movie, but that's not a excuse.. I mean look at Catwoman in Returns, she lives.

Let's move on with The Dark Knight... The whole 3rd act was so crammed and slow. How can a climax last for 40 + minutes? Not one that will work. Plus, I am one of those people who despise movies that explains everything to me. That's up to me to see the themes, the messages, you know. Plus, HOW THE HELL DID TWO FACE ESCAPED FROM THE HOSPITAL? Really, there was no scene that showed me him escaping, so I suppose to believe that he escaped. Ok, BUT THERE IS NO EXCUSE OF HIM LIVING THROUGH THAT CAR CRASH! I thought Nolan's movies are suppose to be real? Seems like two misfires. I know I am being nitpicky... but that's what I do as a "Critic", I nitpick.  

But the final scenes in Both films are epic to say the least. Burton's has the music and the visuals going for him, while Nolan has the symbolic speech for Gordon. Those scenes pretty much described both films styles right there. Burton is atmosphere, visual, and music. While Nolan is more symbolic, has a message to send to everybody. His movies are character studies, like Citizen Kane.

FIN

No comments:

Post a Comment